The CGA-HSBC China Junior Golf Programme, launched by the China Golf Association (CGA) and HSBC in coordination with The R&A and IMG in 2007, is the only officially sanctioned junior golf program in China. It provides a platform for talented joiner golfers to develop their potential while introducing children to the sport of golf at a grass-roots level.
Over the past decade, the CGA-HSBC China Junior Golf Programme has put golf clubs in the hands of over 100,000 children aged from 6-18 covering over 24 cities in 18 different provinces throughout mainland China.
This is a systematic and sustainable platform to support the grass-roots development of Chinese golf on a long-term basis.
The comprehensive program includes:
- HSBC China Junior Golf Open
- HSBC National Junior Golf Championship
- HSBC National Junior Golf Team Championship
- HSBC Junior Golf City Camps
- HSBC School Golf Training Programme (include two special education schools)
- HSBC Junior Golf Parent-Child Challenge
In addition, CGA-HSBC China Junior Golf Programme had developed a number of outstanding alumni.
- Xiyu Lin and Haotong Li, outstanding Alumni of the CGA-HSBC China Junior Golf Programme, represented the Chinese National Golf Team at the 2016 Rio Olympic. Xiyu Lin became the first female golfer to record a hole-in-one in the history of the Olympics.
- Zecheng (Marty) Dou won on the Korn Ferry Tour in 2017 to become the first Chinese (mainland) player to win on this Tour. He also became the first Chinese player to gain exempt status on the PGA TOUR the following year.
- Yu Liu won on the Symetra Tour in 2017 and finished fifth on the money list to earn LPGA membership for 2018. As an LPGA rookie, she made 21 cuts in 27 events, including three top-10 finishes and in 2019 recorded seven top-10s, including one 2nd and one 3rd She is the second ranked Chinese female player after former world No.1 Shanshan Feng.
- The Chinese National Golf Team comprising seven HSBC Junior Alumni – Cheng Jin, Huachuang Zhang, Yechun Yuan, Yilong Chen, Wenbo Liu, Mohan Du, and Ruoning Yin – won two Silver Medals and two Bronze Medals at the 2018 Asian Games – a new record for the Chinese National Golf Team. Men’s Team: Silver Medal / Men’s Individual – Bronze Medal (Cheng Jin). Women’s Team: Bronze Medal / Women’s Individual – Silver Medal (Wenbo Liu)
- Yuxin Lin won his second Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship in 2019 for the second time becoming the only dual champion alongside Hideki Matsuyama.
- HSBC Junior alumni Tianlang Guan and Cheng Jin also won this Championship in 2012 and 2015.